Wednesday, March 11, 2015

N.J. parents ordered to pay college for estranged daughter, 21


When my adopted mom found out that in order to clear his guilty conscience, my dad had helped to pay for some of my education at George Washington, she went ballistic and ordered him to pull the rug out from underneath me. That is when I was effectively homeless for the second time in my life... the first ,when I was seventeen and ran away from home after months of having been raped and beaten by her (a fact she only admitted to when the statute of limitations had run out on my case).
 
A big thank you to fellow champion of human rights, Jessica Fitzgerald for bringing this ruling to my attention.
 
I am encouraged that (at least some of us) are waking up to parents who would like everyone to believe this is about children not wanting to do chores when the truth of what they did/did not do is FAR uglier. I am happy this particular judge was willing to dig deeper in this case so as to reveal the cowardly actions of parents who were happy to throw their daughter out on the street. Also, a huge sigh of relief that this young lady had the ability to choose education. I wonder how many other females, whose stories remain unheard, are sold into the sex-trade and other desperate lifestyles because they didn't have supportive relatives (like the grandmother who took her granddaughter in). Here's to the Journey!
 
Re-posted
The Washington Times
Article by;
Cheryl K. Chumley
Friday, November 14, 2014
 
N.J. parents ordered to pay college for estranged daughter, 21


Two New Jersey parents were just ordered by a court to pay for their adult daughter’s college tuition — despite the fact that she’s 21 years old and she’s refused to speak to them since moving in with her grandmother. Caitlyn Ricci, 21, moved out of her parents’ home in February 2013 — though the court documents filed by Ms. Ricci’s grandmother said the parents, Michael Ricci and Maura McGarvey, who are divorced, actually gave the boot to their daughter, the New York Daily News reported.

Regardless, a judge in Camden County found in Ms. Ricci’s favor and ruled that the two parents have to pay her $16,000 for each year she stays enrolled in classes at Temple University, the news outlet said.

 


The couple, meanwhile, expressed dismay at the ruling, saying they never turned their backs on their daughter, and that she left voluntarily, because she didn’t want to abide by house rules and do chores. They also said she’s largely ignored them since moving to her grandparents’ home in 2013.
 
“I send her cards and I send her poems, I send her pictures and I get no response,” the mother said, to a local television station.
 
The parents say they’ve only seen their daughter in court.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment